(Meeting held on Zoom)
• Andrew Robinson (President) welcomed everyone and outlined guidelines
Review of past minutes
• No past minutes for August informal discussion only
Environmental Committee Update / Discussion – Jon (Chair)
• No new update regrading environmental programs
• New bus routes will be running / traveling through Bayfront Park
Planning & Traffic Committee Update / Discussion – Herman (Chair)
• Group is exploring options / talking with City to understand if NENA can be part of the notification list for new or proposed developments.
• If NENA is part of notification it could avoid being reactionary / LPAT
• Notification list includes Hydro, Forestry, Airport, Traffic, etc (21 groups)
• NENA is trying to be part of the working process to approvals
• Zoom link for next Planning Committee meeting to be sent for distribution
Financial Update – Curtis (Chair)
• NENA was awarded a grant, coordination to occur with City
• Grant program will be held quarterly going forward through Ward 2
Community Engagement Update / Discussion
• No update
Other Business / Updates
• City using new encampment protocol to understand and determine where all current tent locations are.
• There is concern the City doesn’t currently have enough money or staff to run the program
• The paved area from James to John, along Strachan is proposed to be used by HATS as the locations for the pilot program.
• Proposed HATS location will need various approvals before proceeding.
There wasn’t earlier / typical notification regarding the James St location because without a proposed site, public engagement and consultation can’t occur
• City review and visits to tent locations for engagement and understanding of current situation have started, Strachan visit not currently scheduled.
•James St location doesn’t meet qualifications from HATS or the City for a pilot locations, its was a compromise based upon land available to get people sheltered before winter.
•Are there traffic calming options for Burlington St from James toward John to avoid cars edging out from side streets.
•Traffic calming with bump outs is proposed from Hughson to Ferguson and schedule to be installed in 2024 / 2025
•Safe streets are a factor of better design, signage and enforcement.
•Motion to close meeting (Andrew), seconded (Jeff) – approved
•October 4, 2023 at 7:00pm through Zoom