PLANNING AND TRAFFIC COMMITTEE
There are Big Changes Happening in our Community
The NENA Planning and Traffic Committee is made up of about a dozen association members who meet regularly to address the many changes happening in our community and assess their impact on North End neighbourhood residents. The committee's goal is to keep NENA informed about local development projects through monthly reports to the general membership including recommendations as to how to advocate community concerns regarding new developments and traffic management. If you are interested in joining the committee please reach out to us and come to NENA's general membership meeting the first Wednesday of every month.
JAMES STREET NORTH COMPREHENSIVE RE-ZONING REPORT
Should James Street's zoning guidelines be determined one project at a time?
- See our committee's report on the comprehensive re-zoning of James St. North
600 JAMES STREET NORTH
10 Storey Development Proposal Denied by City Council but Overruled by the Lands Planning Appeals Tribunal.
As of this time the proposed development looks set to continue.
468-476 JAMES STREET NORTH
8 Storey Development Proposal Approved, Appealed, and then Settled
- Development as settled will remain within the standard height of 6 stories set out in the Mobility Hub Study
- Will be a retirement home
Jamesville Property Developer Chosen, Design Proposal Approved August 2022
- Will Include affordable housing
- Will include family sized townhouse units
- Developer worked with the Association's Planning and Traffic Committee early in the process but did not seek feedback on final design/proposal
- Final proposal was submitted and approved by Council despite concerns raised by NENa
PIER 6/7 WATERFRONT DEVELOPMENT
Pier 6/7 Site Preparation Under Construction
- Development lots sold
- Construction of boardwalk well under way
- Art installation at the bottom of James chosen
BLOCK 16 TOWER PROPOSAL
The North End Neighbourhood Association Supports the Approval of a Single 45 Storey Tower on Pier 8
While the neighbourhood association has historically opposed increasing heights of developments throughout the North End, this tower proposal provides the opportunity for less density and building heights on the rest of pier 8 (including town houses instead of mid-rise buildings) and would require the developer to include family sized units throughout the development. The vast majority of our members believe that this compromise would greatly improve the integration of this development into our existing neighbourhood and would support local schools and community programs.